Santos, Brazil: Vacations and Travel Info
Just 45 miles away from Sao Paulo, Santos is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Brazil. Thanks to its great location, beside the ocean, and with a beach almost five miles long, the city has a whole host of things to do and see for people of all ages.
Santos is made up of two parts, known as the island area and the mainland. The mainland is the largest part, and, given its location next to the Serra do Mar State Park, 70% of it has been classified as an Area de Proteccion Ambiental (Environmental Protection Area). Many of the region's protected tropical forests are located here, which are fantastic places to try out a variety of adventurous activities.
Santos became famous in 2000, when it gained entry into the Guinness Book of Records as the city with the largest beachfront garden in the world. Spanning nearly 2,500,000 square feet, whatever the season there's always an excellent variety of beautiful plant species to see. The area is also famous for its port and old buildings with unique architectural features. A historical tour of the region is well worth doing during your visit.
You might be interested in
Tips for your next vacation
- Popular Attractions near Maracana Stadium, Home of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Top 5 Hotels in Copacabana for your Trip to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- 5 Must-Have Olympic Souvenirs from Rio 2016
- Xcaret: The Best International Theme Park
- The Best Beaches in Brazil
- Direct Flights from the USA to Rio for the 2016 Olympics
- Tips for Traveling with Your Dog