Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Vacations, Travel and Tourism to Punta Cana
Punta Cana is an oasis for serenity. This paradise in the Dominican Republic offers fascinating white sandy beaches, greenish blue colored waters of the Caribbean Sea, tall palm trees, as well as magnificent hotels right on the beach.
The spectacular Punta Cana is simply a beach resort. Whether traveling alone, with a companion, with your family, or with a group of friends, Punta Cana and its friendly people are waiting for you in this magnificent place for your next unforgettable vacations.
Punta Cana is located in the Dominican Republic on the island of Hispaniola, a part of the Greater Antilles archipelago in the Caribbean, and where the beautiful waters of the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean converge. Right at this meeting point, where the Costa Este ("East Coast," also known as Coconut Coast by locals) is, you can find Punta Cana nestled on the eastern tip of the island. The capital of the country is Santo Domingo, located three hours by car from Punta Cana. Hispaniola is also home to the lively country of Haiti, which occupies the western region of the island.
The tiny town of Punta Cana (technically a cape) is almost invisible on the map since its population is just above a few thousands inhabitants. The 30 miles of magnificent, unspoiled beaches and the tall refreshing palm trees of the Coconut Coast still preserve their natural beauty, making the region the perfect paradise, ideal for aquatic activities or simply to unwind. The Coconut Coast is also home to Bavaro, a small village located a few miles north of Punta Cana. For this reason, it is not unusual to hear this area is referred to as the Punta Cana/Bavaro region.
It is said that in 1969, some American investors bought land in the Dominican Republic'sEast Coast and years later, other local investors joined them to initiate the mega project known as Punta Cana. The first hotel to open was the Punta Cana Club, a small place with only 10 villas. In 1978, the famous French chain Club Med started the construction of a 350 room resort.
The Punta Cana/Bavaro region has been so popular in recent years that, in spite of being a tiny place, it has the most important airport in the Dominican Republic: the Punta Cana International Airport (1984), which is the busiest airport in this Caribbean country. Today, Punta Cana is one of the most beautiful and popular areas in the Dominican Republic. The dozens of luxurious all inclusive resorts attract millions of tourist from every corner of the globe year after year, particularly from Europe.
Interesting Facts About Punta Cana
- This area has an average temperature of 79 degrees Fahrenheit all year round.
- The official language is Spanish, although many hotel employees speak English or French.
- The official currency in Punta Cana is peso oro (gold peso). The US dollar, however, is also widely used, especially at the resorts.
- Dominican Republic uses 110 volt electricity so 220 volt devices (common in Europe) will need a special adapter to work.
- The Caribbean region is famous for rum. Do not pass up the opportunity to try a nice bottle of rum on your visit to Punta Cana.
- Cigars are another famous souvenir. They are highly sought after and appreciated by avid smokers from around the world.
Our customers' best rated hotels
from $ 567 Avr. per night/Taxes included
from $ 486 Avr. per night/Taxes included
from $ 124 Avr. per night/Taxes included
You might be interested in
Categories:Animal Interaction,Swim with Dolphins
from $ 99Per adult, taxes included
Tips for your next vacation
- Popular Attractions near Maracana Stadium, Home of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Top 5 Hotels in Copacabana for your Trip to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- 5 Must-Have Olympic Souvenirs from Rio 2016
- Xcaret: The Best International Theme Park
- The Best Beaches in Brazil
- Direct Flights from the USA to Rio for the 2016 Olympics
- Tips for Traveling with Your Dog
Most popular attractions in Punta Cana
from $ 149Per adult, taxes included
from $ 199Per adult, taxes included
from $ 60Per adult, taxes included