McAllen area, United States
Attractions in McAllen, USA: What to do and where to go
McAllen really does have lots to see and do. During your time in the city you can enjoy everything from bird watching to supporting your favorite sports teams, visiting museums, going to concerts, admiring works of art, watching a show in one of the theaters, and much more.
Bird Watching in McAllen
The World Birding Center is made up of nine fabulous sites spread over the city of McAllen, including the Resaca de la Palma State Park on the outskirts of Brownsville, the northern part of Harlingen, Llano Grande Lake by Las Palomas Wildlife Management Area, and Edinburg Municipal Park. There is also Motorcycle and Spring Fest Parks, which are located by McAllen International Airport, Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park, and Old Hidalgo Pumphouse Nature Park at the border with Reynosa. Throughout the sites there are more than 500 different species of birds, which either reside there permanently or cross over the center as part of their migration routes, filling the area with color, joy, and life throughout the year.
Palm View Golf Course
This stunning 18-hole, par 72 golf course has a challenging design that makes it ideal for daring golfers. It has 14 artificial lakes, as well as undulating terrain, that combine to offer spectacular panoramic views throughout the round. The course hosts 22 tournaments a year on average, as well as 17 local golf leagues. There is a clubhouse on site, along with a Pro Shop where you can buy all the equipment you need.
McAllen Art District
This part of McAllen is home to plenty of art galleries, such as the Nuevo Santander Gallery, which is located inside a building constructed in the colonial period. Other stand-out places to go include McAllen Public Library, which features galleries, reading rooms, computer areas, and other modern facilities; as well as the new McAllen Art Village, a 30,000 square foot retail facility featuring four buildings full of galleries, studios and restaurants. The district also plays host to Archer Park and the Sam and Marjorie Miller House. Other tourist attractions in the area include:
- Art House
- Arts District Business Center
- Baeg Piano Academy
- CME Crediy Union Gallery
- Douglas Clark Sculpture Studio
- Fieldman's Market Center
- Imagine Showroom
- Jaber at the Art Village
- McAllen Memorial Library
- Santa Anita Gallery
- Springboards to Education Inc.
- The Box
- The Spanish Room (Casa de Palmas)
- The Tipsy Canvas
Scenic Arts in McAllen
The city's residents have shown great talent and enthusiasm over the years to create plenty of artistic groups and representations, including concerts as well as theater and dance shows. You can watch them at different establishments across the city, with something on every day of the week. Listed below are the main groups and places to go:
- McAllen Symphonic Band
- South Texas Lyric Opera
- Valley Symphony Orchestra and Chorale
- STC Cooper Center Theatre
- Theater Groups in McAllen: Groups such as Limelight Theatre, Thirteen O'Clock Theatre, South Texas Players and McAllen Music Theatre Company bring together professionals and aficionados to put on high quality community shows.
- Broadway Theater in McAllen: Take some time out during your stay in McAllen to see some of the professional shows from New York that visit the city on tour throughout the year.
Historic Sites and Museums in McAllen
The historic district of McAllen is home to plenty of museums and old buildings that are well worth a visit, such as the following:
- Quinta Mazatlan: This is an enormous park offering lots of activities for the whole family, focusing on environmental protection and eco-tourism. It is one of the host sites of the World Birding Center.
- International Museum of Arts and Science: This museum forms part of the Smithsonian Group and the American Museum Association. It has a vast array of original art on display, featuring works from artists around the world, as well as numerous exhibition halls showing off historic and geographic artifacts.
- Museum of South Texas History: Discover the past of this part of the country, everything from the pre-historic period to modern times as you admire the displays here, which include real fossils, replicas of steam ships, articles from indigenous cultures, and much more.
- McAllen Heritage Center: Here you'll find historic city photographs and articles.
- Sacred Heart Church: This church was originally built in 1913, and is a major reference point for people visiting downtown McAllen
- Veterans War Memorial of Texas: This historic site pays homage to war veterans and Texan soldiers that have died in the wars fought by the country over the years.
Sports and Outdoor Activities in McAllen
McAllen has over 50 parks where you can keep fit and do exercise, or just enjoy the wonderful city climate. There are also plenty of sports centers, such as Frio Grande Valley Ice Center, where you can go ice-skating; Delta Field Paintball; UTPA Athletics with a variety of different sports fields and courts; and much more.
Our customers' best rated hotels
from $ 102 Avr. per night/Taxes included
from $ 90 Avr. per night/Taxes included
from $ 91 Avr. per night/Taxes included
You might be interested in
Tips for your next vacation
- Popular Attractions near Maracana Stadium, Home of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Top 5 Hotels in Copacabana for your Trip to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- 5 Must-Have Olympic Souvenirs from Rio 2016
- Xcaret: The Best International Theme Park
- The Best Beaches in Brazil
- Direct Flights from the USA to Rio for the 2016 Olympics
- Tips for Traveling with Your Dog